GENERAL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Dispatcher is responsible for day to day dispatching of delivery personnel and truck fleet according to the
instructions and time constraints noted on the customer’s contract. This position is also responsible for continuously
communicating with drivers, assisting drivers with directions or last minute delivery changes as well as notifying
customers of delivery or pick-up changes. This position will also assist with other duties as instructed by management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge,
skills and other characteristics. This list of tasks is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions
and tasks performed by positions in this class. It does not imply that all positions within the class perform all of the
duties listed, nor does it necessarily list all possible duties that may be assigned.
• Determines most efficient and economical routing and mode of transportation for the delivery or pickup of
customer’s orders based on skill set of delivery/ installation teams.
• Directs scheduling of deliveries and notification of concerned departments or customers of arrival dates and
• Communicates with customers regarding delivery schedules, delivery problems and installation issues.
• Integrates new orders and requests into existing delivery schedule.
• Frequently communicates with drivers to track delivery schedule progress, resolve customer issues and notify
drivers of delivery changes.
• Oversees the tracking of all DOT driver requirements such as driver mileage logs and reports/investigates all
driver accidents and reports findings to the Operations Manager.
• Ensures company and leased delivery vehicles are inspected and serviced at proper intervals.
• Identifies and corrects communication errors between Sales, Logistics and Customers in order to improve
• Ensures all packing supplies and installation equipment is in stock.
• Coordinates timely scheduling of after hours pickups and deliveries, as needed.
• Communicates relevant issues to Warehouse Manager and Operations Manager that need to be resolved.
• Follows all procedures for safety violations and injuries.
• Adheres to all company policies, procedures, rules and regulations in written or verbal form.
• Complies with company and government safety requirements (including the correct use of Personal
Protective Equipment) and other regulations.
• Attends department, location and safety meetings.
EDUCATION AND/ OR EXPERIENCE
High school education or equivalent; or two year of dispatch or training; or equivalent combination of education and
The job specifications described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully
perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read and comprehend complex instructions, correspondence, and memos. Ability to author employee
reviews and other complex correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and large
group situations to employees.
Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as
discounts, interest, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Performing the duties of the job the employee will regularly be required to walk, sit, use hands to handle and feel
objects, reach with hands and arms, balance, stoop, talk or hear. The employee must occasionally be able to lift
5 pounds. Required vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and depth perception.
The majority of the job tasks are performed indoors in a climate that may or may not be controlled; possible work
outdoors with exposure to heat, cold, inclement weather including rain and snow. Performances of duties are
regularly around moving mechanical parts, moderate noise levels and dusty conditions.